HBK Engineering is searching for a Survey Field Lead. Our firm offers a professional work environment, excellent benefits, competitive salary, paid training and growth opportunity.
The position is responsible for collecting field data and staking of construction points using Total Stations or GPS survey equipment. This individual will work directly with the Professional Land Surveyors, Safety Manager and Project Managers to meet the needs of HBK’s field services.
- Conducting topographic, boundary, ALTA/NSPS, as-built, SUE/utility surveys and construction staking associated with design, development and staking projects.
- Adept at setting survey grade control for data collection and staking, including establishing control points, leveling and extending control network properly.
- Operating and regular cleaning and care of Total Stations, GPS, data collectors and levels, among other surveying equipment. HBK uses Leica equipment.
- Maintains and records field notes, field drawings, sketches and pictures.
- Property corner recon for boundary, ROW and Alta surveys. Including searching for corners in rural, suburban and urban settings. Familiarity with boundary work in Chicago is a plus.
- Ability to read and understand construction plan sets, stake points based on calculations and calculation points in the field when needed.
- Communication with managers and other surveying staff.
- Provide training and direction to field technicians and other survey staff in field and within office associated with field work.
- Open to travel as needed with notice, occasionally.
- 3-5 years of field lead surveying experience and/or construction experience.
- Experience using surveying equipment: total station, GPS, data collector & level.
- Good written, oral and computer communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to work as a one-person field crew in addition to a two-person crew.
- Ability to work outside and overtime as needed, in all weather conditions.
- Competency with Microsoft Office (word & excel), Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Skype and Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.
- Proven work history, strong work ethic and team-player attitude.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Bachelors or Associates Degree.
- Knowledge of SUE and JULIE/DIGGER markings.
- CST or SI Certifications.
- IDOT work & field coding.
- OSHA confined space training.
- 1st Aid/CPR training/certification.
- Physically capable of moving about on construction job sites, public streets and parkways wearing PPE (vest, hard hat, glasses, gloves & steel toe boots).
- Capable of lifting and carrying up to 40lbs, sometimes over uneven terrain.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit, kneel, and squat on a daily basis – minimal frequency of kneeling and squatting.
- Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate surveying equipment and measurements.
- Work safely outside in all weather conditions year-round.
- Frequently work in excavations areas and roadways.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally moderate to loud.
- May be required to work nights or weekends, overtime as needed and travel.
Offers contingent upon satisfactory results from our standard background check and receipt of results of a satisfactory drug screening test from a location specified by HBK.